Pages

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Catchin' Up

It's been two weeks since my last post. Sorry that it's so lengthy, I know this goes against all of the rules of effective blogging, but I'm not a professional blogger and we've got A LOT to share! I really need to keep up and blog at LEAST weekly, but it's been hard to keep up while we've been trying to get settled in our new home.

Two weeks ago, Jon left for Iowa and I started Kaia F.I.T! I signed up for the 6 AM class in Davis (which is about a 45-50 min. drive). The class meets M, W, F for an hour. I went to the Monday and Wednesday morning class, and while I was definitely tired, I had wonderful days while starting my morning with a workout.  Thursday we had a Kaia "Meet n Greet." On the way home...



Here's what happened:  The stop sign is set back further than the intersecting road.  It is also at the top of a small incline, not allowing you to see what's on the other side.  I rounded the corner to go right, and there's conveniently a small ditch that my car fit perfectly in.  Jon was in Iowa. Of. Course. Thankfully I've still got AAA (thanks Mom n Dad!), so the tow truck came to the rescue.  My car was fine and I was able to drive home.  While there was no permanent damage, I was still frustrated and shaken up because I didn't know at that time HOW it happened.  (I later figured it out when we went out for supper Saturday). 

When I got home, I made Fruit Cups (a childhood FAVORITE of mine) for a potluck at work the following day.  The fruit cups were DELICIOUS.  Luckily, everyone at work thought so too.  I couldn't believe that no one there had ever had one before--it seemed to be a staple in every kids classroom when we brought treats to school growing up! 


I didn't make it to the 6 AM Kaia class on Friday, so I instead attended the 5:30 PM class--a time that fits MUCH better into my body's daily rhythm. 

Jon came home Saturday, and went right to work. I napped--because the 4:30 AM wake-ups combined with the stress of putting my car in the ditch wiped me out! We went out for supper for my birthday at the Buckhorn Steakhouse in Winters.  This is one of our favorite places to eat! On our way there, I made Jon stop at the place I wrecked and he agreed that there was no way to see the "ravine." PHEW!



For him: Beer. For her: SANGRIA! For both: Giant plate of onion strings :)

Unfortunately the giant plate of super greasy onion strings did NOT sit well in our bellies...so we got the rest of our meal to go and finished it off on Sunday after a big day at Six Flags. Jon popped a few Dramamine and was able to ride on EVERY roller coaster with me and didn't seem to have any major side affects! BIG ACCOMPLISHMENT.  Not so sure this is a great idea every time...but I appreciated the effort on his part to do one of my favorite things with me.


Sunday was a late night as well, so I decided to switch my Kaia time permanently to 5:30 PM until my schedule no longer allows me to do so.  While I loved going in the morning, my schedule doesn't require me to right now, so I decided to stick with a time that's much easier for me to manage.

I love being involved with Kaia.  The workouts are always changing, they're extremely challenging, and it's designed to accommodate to ANYONE of ANY age (I have ladies probably 60+ in my class and trust me, we're ALL getting our rears worked). Kaia offers a plethora of sound nutritional and healthy living advice.  Plus--who doesn't like a little "girl time" while gettin' your sweat on? It's wonderful to not have macho men to compete/compare with at the same time. I definitely believe in this program as the workouts and goals are attainable, it meets MULTIPLE needs of women, and I've seen (and felt) results in just two weeks!

This past week, we've been trying to get as much cleaning done as possible.  We've tried to do a little each night, make supper, and watch an episode of one of two of our new favorite shows on Netflix (recently purchased, reasonably priced, and loving so far): Dual Survivor and Surviving the Cut.

Here were our meals for the week:

Monday: Chicken Parmesan w/Salad

Tuesday: Black Bean Burgers The ladies at work had been raving about the frozen versions of these, so I had to find a fresh recipe to try and make! They were different, but definitely tasty and filling.

Wednesday: NO IDEA!

Thursday: Zucchini--yes JUST zucchini! We both had big lunches, so we sauteed zucchini in a little EVOO with dried basil. 

Friday: Pepperoni Pizza (Our goal is to eat Pizza no more than once/week, unless there's leftovers--in that case, we don't waste!  I could eat Pizza almost every night, so I set this goal when I started Weight Watchers and have maintained it ever since.)

Saturday: Chef Jon's Homemade Mac 'N Cheese with Zucchini-- We spent ALL DAY Saturday cleaning our house.


By the time we were finished, I wasn't feeling like cooking, and most of the restaurants nearby would've been closed by the time we got there, so thankfully my kind husband felt like whipping up his own version of this classic with a twist :)  Here's what he did (in his very own words):

  • Handful of Whole Wheat Spaghetti noodles (the only kind of noodles we had)
  • Hunk of Butter
  • Handful of Cheese
  • 1 Zucchini
  • 1 Yellow Gourd Thing (possibly, most likely, some sort of sqaush)
Chef Jon's Directions: Boil the noodles, add veggies to boiling noodles for a few minutes when the noodles are done, drain everything, return pan to burner, turn off stove, add butter, dump noodles and veggies in pot, stir, add cheese, stir until cheese is melted and mixed in, and VOILA! Mystery dinner is served...topped with a little salt and ground pepper.




While it probably wasn't the most healthy meal...it was simple and turned out to be quite tasty :)

Why all the zucchini/squash you might ask? We've recently joined a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) Farm called Green Beginnings Farm. One of Jon's co-workers owns the CSA Farm so we've decided to join in.  It's been wonderful to have a giant box of fresh, in season fruits and vegetables delivered weekly for an extremely reasonable price.  Sometimes we know what everything is, and sometimes we don't! Here's what we had delivered this week: zucchini, some yellow gourd thing (probably a squash), kale, swiss chard, cucumbers, red onion, and some sort of delicious white plum fruit. Check out what's going on with this farm here.

Now that we have a clean house...we're off to spend the day outdoors. Until next time...







No comments:

Post a Comment