Pages

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Blended Soup

My workout last night wore me out more than I thought it would so I didn't make it up to go swim this morning. Jon didn't either so I don't feel so bad! Are we enabling each other? :/

Today started out chilly, but turned out to be a beautiful day in the mid-sixties.  After the rain and cold we've had, I'll take it...but it's making me itch for warm summer days!

Although being away from Iowa and our families stinks, I'll admit that the shopping here is 
UH-MAZING.  I found a new store (which maybe we have in the midwestsomewhere, but I wasn't familiar with it until I moved here) called Restoration Hardware.  I'm 100% obsessed.  I can't wait to have a house, even if it is a TINY house, to decorate.  I've been extremely un-motivated to decorate our "shoebox" apartment because I know it's only temporary.  I'd rather live in a boring, plain, mis-matched apartment now and save all of the $$$$$$ we can so I can decorate a more permanent abode!

I found a recipe for Sweet Potatoes, Lentils, and Rice Soup and I've been craving soup ever since.  The recipe above uses coconut milk and that's not a favorite with Jon or I.  So, I searched for a similar recipe and found Vegetable, Lentil, & Wild Rice Soup.  Below is the recipe along with our alterations based on what we had in stock in bold type:

Vegetable Lentil Wild Rice Soup

Ingredients (use vegan versions):

    2 medium carrots chopped **used the remainder of our baby carrots instead
    1 large potato cubed **Finished off the mixed bag of purple potatoes, fingerlings, and yukon gold potatoes                            we bought at the Farmer's Market last week
    2 cups sliced cabbage **Didn't have any so skipped this
    1 can diced tomatoes (32 oz.)
    1 medium onion
    2 cloves garlic
    1 tablespoon thyme
    1 tablespoon parsley
    1 tablespoon garlic powder
    salt & pepper to taste
    3 cubes vegetable bouillon **Did not have any so substituted 4 cups of Unsalted Vegetable Stock/2 Cups of Water instead
    1/4 cup lentils **Added a little more...we like our lentils :)
    1/4 cup wild rice **Fresh out of rice so substituted 1/4 C QUINOA yummmmmm
    1 tablespoon olive oil

Directions:

Chop the onions and garlic and saute them in olive oil until they are almost cooked through. Add the spices, bouillon, 6 cups of water (veggie stock/water), the lentils and wild rice (quinoa). Bring to a boil and then add the can of tomatoes (with the liquid) and the carrots, potatoes and cabbage you've prepared. Lower heat and keep at a simmer for about 30 minutes.  Enjoy!  Other suggestions for additions to this soup: Chickpeas, canned sliced green beans, and brown rice. 


It was PIPING hot so we had to let it cool for about 15-20 minutes before we could even think about tasting it.  Jon says, "it smells delicious, but it's too **** hot!"  His initial observation...it looks like a cross between spaghetti and vegetable soup.  
 
We both thought it tasted decent, but it was quite bland, so we'll have to spice it up and add more veggies and flavors next time (maybe some peppers and oregano)!  

Time to decide what our workout of choice will be tonight. . .maybe just a home workout video and a walk/run with Kasey! We're both tired from our workouts last night....getting back into shape is ROUGH!



No comments:

Post a Comment